It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 53  Next
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
Started watching The Expanse and I'm about 4 episodes in. So far, really good stuff. Decent acting, pretty deep sci fi and interesting worldbuilding. Can't believe I've missed it in the past few years as it's right up my alley.

Saw Donnie Darko for the first time on a plane last week. Yeah, I know i'm about 20 years late. :roll: Great movie though! Can see why it's a cult classic.

- Coach

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:22 pm
Felix Rex

Yea, glad you're watching The Expanse and finally saw Donnie Darko! Both are really amazing. I'm seriously hooked on the Expanse. There is a sequel to Donnie Darko, btw, but from what I understand it's super terrible and should be avoided at all costs. I have no seen it.

I actually watched Donnie Dark in a theater near me (Alamo Drafthouse) and the director was there to do some Q&A for the audience. It was super cool.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Nice! Did he talk about the time travel dynamics/principles in the film? Also, did you have something to eat during the movie? :P

I enjoyed diving into the time travel stuff after the movie and the explanations I've read tied together the dots a bit better. It's definitely not a film that holds your hand. I had almost forgotten that he woke up in the same place in the beginning of the movie as where the 'event' takes place at the end of it, implying that this wasn't his first attempt at saving the universe. So it seems like the events looped until he could break them, or had a reason to break them.

I've seen most of season 1 now of the Expanse and it's glorious. You should have put more pressure on me to watch it before hahaha.

Watched I Kill Giants on the plane, a good but not great sort of magical realism/horror/coming of age film. Definitely worth watching though.

- Coach

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:22 am
Felix Rex

The director did talk about the time travel aspects some in the movie, though much was left kind of ambiguous on purpose. One of the things I learned from him was that there was this overweight jogger guy in one scene they thought was kind of weird. Turns out he was weird.... he was one of the FAA investigators trying to figure out where the plane engine came from.

And yes, absolutely drank and ate during that show. It's one of the main reason I go to Alamo Drafthouse.. that and their policy for chucking annoying people out. No cell phones, no talking... that place is awesome. And of course food and alcohol and a wait staff.

I Kill Giants was ok. Rather depressing by the end.

I watched Venom last night. It's not a good movie or anything, but I actually really enjoyed it. It was ridiculous and didn't take itself too seriously. If you go into it without too high expectations, you might really like it.

Also watched Crimes of Grindelwald (the Harry Potter universe movie thing) and it was freaking terrible.

I may have mentioned this, but Shiny and I have burned out on Man in the High Castle. It's just really blah at this point.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
And yes, absolutely drank and ate during that show. It's one of the main reason I go to Alamo Drafthouse.. that and their policy for chucking annoying people out. No cell phones, no talking... that place is awesome. And of course food and alcohol and a wait staff.

Man, I'd love to have a place like that close by. One of the main reasons I don't go to the cinema is because I don't like getting annoyed by sociopaths or noisy teens, or worse ending up in a confrontation with them. There's only so many times I want to pay for the joy of being one of the only people who has the balls to speak up when people are being idiots. Sigh. Maybe I should start one of these businesses myself here, Malta is not exactly a paradise for those who want to watch a movie in peace without some idiot talking on a phone. :P Might be a market there.

Saw Antman and the Wasp yesterday - a more family friendly Marvel movie really. Paul Rudd is great and it's a fun ride, but the movie kind of bored me.

Close to finishing the first season the The Expanse. Fuck it's good!

- Coach

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:42 pm
Felix Rex

Saw Glass recently. Leave it to M Night Shyamalan to totally screw it up. :roll: Very disappointing. It's getting pretty thoroughly wrecked online too... 6.9 stars on IMDB (which isn't horrific, honestly) and 37% on rotten tomatoes. Ugh. I really liked Unbreakable, and I was ok with Split. Glass had me pretty excited. It could have been good... up until Mr. Shyamalan tries to add that twist at the end. Ah well.

I watched Under the Silver Lake. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691670/ Oh boy, avoid that one. It's so slow it's painful. The concept isn't so bad... just the execution is a snorefest.

I can't really think of much else I've watched recently.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

I watched 'Tag' and really liked it. The cast was good, the pace was good.

Also saw Alita Battle Angel. I liked it.

Grimes of Grindewald was mediocre.

Also watched 'The Death of Stalin.' Not exactly sure whether it falls under comedy or drama. Strange movie, averagish.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:54 pm
Felix Rex

Ahh, good call. I watched Tag... I thought it was ok, but Shiny really liked it. Also saw Alita... Shiny hated it (due to a certain scene with a dog I suspect) but I liked it. Crimes of Grindelwald was pretty terrible.

Saw Captain Marvel as well. I really liked it (for a Marvel movie).

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Kinda hard to come here for movie recommendations when pretty much all of them seem to be shit :P

Haven't seen Alita Battle Angel yet so may do that. Heard from others that Captain Marvel was ok but that the main actress was meh, so will probably have a look later.

I've been on a DC binge lately, going through all of them that I hadn't seen yet: Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Aquaman. I had always heard they were terrible , especially compared to the Marvel movies, so I steered clear from them. After watching most of them (didn't have the courage to see Suicide Squad yet haha) I have to say...they're really not that bad. Sure, they're not anywhere near as good as the Marvel movies (on average, Marvel also put out some stinkers like Thor Ragnarok and Antman and the Wasp), but they are hardly unwatchable. I think it helps to be familiar with the Frank Miller incarnation of Batman (and Superman) in particular to get the feel Snyder was going for. Which is not to say that they're all great movies...they are definitely lacking in some aspects. But I was expecting much worse. The most recent one is Aquaman and it's pretty weird. The plot is all over the place, the acting is cringeworthy at best, and yet....it's a really fun movie. Momoa is excellent as Aquaman, btw. At least DC understood that the only way to make Aquaman cool was to have him be played by the coolest actor in the world haha. As long as you're not expecting a citizen kane, it's a fun ride.

Having said that, really looking forward to Avengers End Game. Infinity War was one of my favorite movies in years, so curious to see if they can top that.

- Coach

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:12 pm
Felix Rex

Lol... funny some of the movies you named I actually really liked, like Thor Ragnarok and Antman and the wasp, Aquaman was pretty decent. I'm definitely looking forward to infinity war 2.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

You really liked Antman and the Wasp? I mean, it's not horrible, but I would definitely say it's one of the worst Marvel movies to date. The original Antman was great though.

But eh, de gustibus non est disputandum and all that. :)

It's funny, I looked up the Alamo Drafthouse regulations (because I'm jealous that such a chain exists over there) and one of the most frequently asked questions was "do they allow concealed carry handguns". Only in America. :roll: (they do, fwiw)

- Coach

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:26 am
Felix Rex

haha. And yes, most people do (allow concealed carry). You can specifically disallow it (very specific regulations for how to do that officially), but if you do and some shit goes down, people can sue you and win because they weren't allowed to carry to defend themselves. So, the safe bet is to just look the other way. To be fair, most people that have concealed carry licenses are pretty responsible... if you're not, you typically can't get one (due to a felony on your record or something) or you lose it pretty quick (due to pulling your gun in a stupid manner). *shrug*

BTW, I didn't think Antman and the Wasp was amazing or anything. But I thought it was ok.

Going to see Shazam this weekend. Looks fun. Endgame is out, but I'm going to wait another week or 5 for the crowds to calm down before I see it.

On TV...

been watching Game of Thrones last season... so far so good, though a certain scene with a certain person getting partially naked was a bit jarring (no spoilers).
Also catching up on American Gods season 2... so far so amazing. That show is freaking great.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

So I watched Shazam and I thought it was pretty cool. Not some sort of ground-breaking film or anything, but enjoyable.

I also watched Spiderman: into the spiderverse. I'm not a fan of Spiderman at all... never have been. But this movie was actually surprisingly good. I'd recommend it. Of course it's a cartoon Spiderman movie, so don't expect the world from it, but it was amazingly solid.

Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Oh man, Into The Spiderverse was amazing! It's probably one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen (animated or not). It's an almost flawless movie imo. The characters are believable, the visuals are amazing, it's funny without trying to hard and the storyline is tight.

I also saw Avengers: Endgame while I was in Belgium. As the 'closing movie' of the whole Thanos/infinity stones storylines it was a really good movie, but as a standalone it probably wasn't so good. I was watching it with people who haven't seen all of the previous movies in the lineup and they really had trouble understanding some scenes or actions. So that is a bit of a shame. Anyway, is Thanos a great villain or what? Probably my favorite villain in the last few years.

Finished season 2 of The Expanse and I loved it. The Mars politics storyline was a bit wobbly at times but didn't really ruin the enjoyment for me. Can't wait for season 3! (I know it's out already, just haven't watched it yet)

Also started watching the most recent season of The 100, which is equal measures fun, silly and stupid. But as long as they keep things interesting with weird planets, rogue AIs and other metahuman shit I'm gonna tune in haha.

- Coach

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:49 pm
Felix Rex

The 100 looked kinda lame to me, so I never watched it. Maybe at some point. The expanse is great stuff... is season 3 the most recent? It's really solid. Definitely watch it.

I watched The House that Jack Built recently. It's about a serial killer. That movie is really hard to watch... some of the stuff he does is really cringe-worthy, which is probably a recommendation considering the subject matter. The end goes totally off the rails (in a good way) in my opinion. So maybe watch it, but be prepared for some twisted shit.

Also saw Endgame. It was pretty decent. Spoilers
Black Widow and arrow guy fighting over who gets to sacrifice themselves was dumb. Permanently losing Black Widow and regular-universe-gamorah was sad. Captain America time traveling and becoming an old man was sad. Iron Man dying was about damned time. Spiderman coming back was unfortunate. :roll:

Can't think of much else I've watched lately.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 53  Next