It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 53  Next
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
Oh the 100 isn't amazing, but it's got great production values and knows very well what it is without trying to be more (or less) than that. It's post-apocalyptic popcorn scifi and entertaining - that's it. I just checked the imdb and rottentomatoes ratings for both shows and it's about what I expected: The Expanse scoring in the 85-90 range, and The 100 in the 77-85 range. So if you're ever in need of a fun scifi show, have a peek.

Started watching The Terror recently. Great TV. Very slow, but very enthralling. But then I'm a sucker for stories set in icy wastelands. :roll:

- Coach

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am
Felix Rex

I started watching The Boys on Amazon Prime recently. It's about super-heroes. It's actually really good so far. I'd recommend it.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I know about the comics which are....edgy. Looks like they're not pulling any punches in the show either!

Will give it a try soon, looks pretty cool.

I recently watchd and loved the first season of "The Terror". I have a thing for anything set in arctic wastelands, so that may not susprise you. But it's damn great TV regardless.

- Coach

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:27 pm
Minor Diety

Just started "The Boys", 2 episodes down so far and enjoying it. I've really enjoyed Jessica Jones on Netflix too, shame that has ended. Next up after "The Boys" will probably be the final season of "Preacher".

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I finished watching The Boys and really liked it. I'm glad it's renewed for another season. Shiny could take it or leave it. She was pretty meh about it all around. To each their own.

Finished watching this season's Handmaid's Tale. I'm not too happy with it. I won't spoil anything, I just think it's becoming less and less realistic. The grim dark reality was what made that show good to me and it seems to be losing that.

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus just went live on Netflix this week, so that's high on my priority list. After that... I'm not sure. We shall see.

I can understand why you're interested in The Terror, but it's definitely not high on my list. Not a huge horror fan, so yea. It was funny to see the guy from Chernobyl, though. I imagine he'll have that association forever for me.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I've only seen the first episode of the current season of The Handmaid's Tale, but I could already kind of feel what you're talking about I think. Clearly the show is gearing up for some sort of revolution involving June/Offred as one of the leaders. Which is fair enough I guess, where else are you supposed to go after the first 2 seasons? I personally think they should have ended the show with June and her (second) child making it to Canada. I guess it wouldn't satisfy everyone if Gilead was still around, but it would have felt more...natural. Having said that, I still think the acting, worldbuilding and especially the cinematography are incredible. So I will continue watching anyway (until that goes to shit). :P

Haven't seen The Boys yet but heard a lot of good stuff. Does the first season end like the comic books? Ie
does the Homelander and most of his cronies die? Or is there a buildup to next season for that?

Stranger Things season 3 is really great so far (4 episodes in). It might even be my favorite season yet if they keep up this level.

- Coach

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:40 am
Felix Rex

I had mixed emotions about Stranger Things. Some parts were great, but mostly I was not impressed. Regarding The Boys, I haven't read the comics. However, based on your spoiler, the tv show is quite different. Definitely not the same story.

I watched a number of movies lately, of varying quality.

Hotel Mumbai - pretty decent, if depressing. Probably to be expected. Worth a watch, just don't expect too much.
John Wick Chapter 3 - I liked it. :) If you liked the previous, it's more of the same. Fun stuff, but mostly mindless.
Extreme Job - A Korean movie about cops, something of a comedy. I liked it, Shiny didn't so much. Worth a watch in my opinion.
A Dog's Journey - About a dog going through multiple incarnations to fulfill his destiny or something. Sad, but not a bad movie if you're into that kind of thing. I would've skipped it if not for Shiny.
Driven - a kinda-biography of the DeLorean car/drug scandal from the 80s. If you're not familiar, I'd recommend looking it up. A decent movie.. nothing amazing, but not bad.

Watching the latest season of Archer. It's ok. I haven't been enthralled by Archer for quite a while.
Completed watching the latest season of Black Mirror. It was alright. Only three episodes, I think? Funny thing... Black Mirror is supposed to be a look into the near future and the craziness it'll bring, but one of the three episodes wasn't at all futuristic. I could see it happening today (and it was of course depressing). Still, a decent view.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't rightly recall. I'll post back if I think of something. :mrgreen:

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Archer has been pretty bland for several seasons now. :-( I keep watching for the occasional laugh and interesting setting (the latest space one is actually pretty good) but it never comes even close anymore to how great it was in the first 2-3 seasons. #sad

I saw the first John Wick a month ago and I didn't get it. :-( I mean, sure, it's got some sweet action and Keanu Reeves is love and all, but other than that it felt like every other bland action movie ever. Although I will say that what happens to the puppy his dead wife gave him was excruciatingly hard to watch and kind of justified the mass killings. :lol: Jesus Christ.

- Coach

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:14 am
Felix Rex

Yea... it's just a fun action movie to me. If you haven't seen the 2nd and 3rd movies, I'd recommend checking them out. Not because they're masterfully made or anything, but because they're kinda fun.

I watched the Green Book recently, about a white Italian guy driving a black musician around the south during the 50s or something. It was ok, nothing amazing.

Did I mention I watched the Children of Dune miniseries? Not sure I did. This is by F/X or whoever that did the more recent Dune miniseries. More of the same. Pretty decent and very, very true to the books, but suffering from production values. If they'd had a few million more $$ to put into it, it probably would've been amazing. Most of the women are pretty damned hot, though. I swear it was filmed in some eastern European country.

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I don't think you did, but I'm not as much of a Dune fanboy as you are so may have forgotten. :P I'll have a look when i've blown through my current backlog though, would you recommend watching the miniseries first?

- Coach

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm
Felix Rex

I may have confused everything here, but basically there is a Dune (original book) miniseries that's very true to the books, but could've used a lot more money to make it amazing. This was from quite a while ago. Only recently did I realize there was another miniseries based on Children of Dune, which is what I was speaking about. Also good, also under-funded. I would recommend both, but definitely watch them in order or you will have no idea wtf is going on.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Aah ok, now it makes sense. I'll have a look for them then - I do love me some good scifi. :-)

Has anyone seen the Witcher netflix series btw? I was a bit sceptical at first (especially about Cavill as Geralt) but I've come to really appreciate the series. They really nailed the general vibe of the books (and games). If anything Cavill made for a great witcher so I was clearly wrong to be suspicious. There were a few uneven episodes but overall I think they did a great job sticking to the source material and setting the scene for further adventures and seasons. I do believe that the jumping back and forth in timelines (with largely slowly or unaging characters like the sorceresses and the witcher himself) could have been very confusing for people not familiar with the books. But I mean, the first book is literally a collection of loosely connected stories in different time periods. So they would have had to pull something really different from the book if they had done it another way.

- Coach

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm
Stranger

The Witcher was awesome. Can't wait for more. I finished Wu Assassins which was ok. Currently watching Lost in Space, really like it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:48 am
Minor Diety

Can't remember if I mentioned it in my email or not but yes, we watched The Witcher and loved it. Not read the books yet but my friend has and overall he was happy with it (he's obsessed with it so it has to be good). I think like everyone our only gripe was the weird timelines but I could forgive that.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

The timeline wasn't a problem for me. It even kinda makes sense. I mean in reality it is normal that important character defining events in people lives do not happen exactly at the same time unless there's a war or something of equal scale.

PS! I really like Lost in Space. Maybe even more than The Witcher.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 53  Next