It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
100% agree. I can buy bullet proof suits protecting from bullets. I can't buy falling off the top of a hotel and walking away within seconds. I can't buy (spoilers coming) being hit by multiple cars at high speed by the Arc de Triomphe, falling down hundreds of stairs multiple times while being kicked or punched repeatedly, or him even being ready to set out on the entire final film without having at least a year to recover from the previous one! I'm not sure what the timeline is but it didn't give the impression he spent more than a couple of days hanging around. I mainly just enjoyed the last 2 films for the continued world building and the way he wins at the end was sort of clever. They just need to learn bigger and more fantastic doesn't automatically mean better when it comes to fights.

I rarely watch films anyway. Very few ever appeal to me. Yet I enjoy most I watch to some extent. Generally Niall watches them and then occasionally we watch one together that has peaked my interest for some reason. He usually has to tell me they exist first though haha. I'm very much in MCU burnout and have been for years which doesn't help, as it seems like 90% of the releases for the last decade have been that (ok slight exagerration).

I did see the trailer recently for the 4th planet of the apes. Those I have enjoyed so we'll definitely keep an eye on that.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

The MCU unoffcially ended with Endgame. Everything that has come since has been pretty much a shambling corpse with the exception of the guardians of the galaxy. Financially they have been taking quite a loss as well. The latest Marvels needs to hit something like 400mil to break even, so it is estimated to take about a 100mil loss. It is now the lowest opening for MCU films. They went woke and now they go broke.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:43 am
Minor Diety

I was getting bored before Endgame to be honest. I felt Endgame was incredibly underwhelming. They're something I'll watch if I'm doing something else at the same time.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:13 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I'm not a big MCU fan anyway. Most of the Avengers movies are just too back-to-back actiony for my tastes. Iron Man I just did really care for the main character... same with all of the Spiderman movies with the exception of the first Spiderverse... that was surprisingly good. I dunno... just not sold. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 was mostly great, though the danceoff or whatever at the end was super cringey. The second was pretty decent. I didn't care for the 3rd one at all. Spoiler-incoming... they (the bad guys) literally blew up an entire planet of innocent "people" and it was treated more like a spectacle than an insane tragedy.

So yea, most movies suck, especially the big mainstream ones... but not all of them. Every once in a while something really amazing comes out. I really can't wait for Dune part 2. I hope they don't flub it.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

So went to see the Ridley Scott 'Napoleon' in cinema with family. Yap, it deserves average. It almost feels like two people tried to glue two films together. The action scenes are great, the actors do pretty good job but the whole feels off. Like something went missing in the process.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:52 pm
Minor Diety

I watched Enola Holmes 2 recently and it was a fun movie with a terrible ending. It's like they went out of their way to make it bad, because there wasn't any reason to take the story decisions they took. Probably not entirely unrelated to their attempts to virtue signal. I hope we quickly get out of this stupid time where every mainstream movie has to have some sort of societal or political message. Yes, I get it Hollywood, you're trying to pretend to be good people. But nobody cares.

I wanted to go see Napoleon but it kind of sounds like I need to wait for Scott's 4-hour director's cut to get the best experience. :roll:

- Coach

Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:53 am
Felix Rex

Oh yea, we watched Enola Holmes 1 and 2. The first was... ok. The second was pretty terrible. Napoleon is also one i'll probably watch eventually, but not in the theaters for sure. Maybe not until a Snyder cut. :roll:

Rewatched Bad Santa recently. That movie's hilarious.

Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

I watched a Korean film called "Steel Rain" on netflix. I really liked it, it's a thriller with some action scenes. But the actors really did a stellar job. It's about a plot of war between the two Koreas. I strongly suggest going in blind and not watch the trailers. It has IMDB score of 7,1 as well. Well damn, cant even recall when I was last this entertained for 2hours.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:04 pm
Minor Diety

So I watched Joker (the Joaquin Phoenix one) about 10 years after everyone else, and it was pretty good. Phoenix' performance was outstanding, but I also liked the way the movie took the DC character and turned it into a psychological study annex cultural critique. I can see why some nuts have been inspired by it.

I'm actually amazed this movie ever made it to the box office. Not because it's particularly bad or dangerous, it just seems weird to use the DC character and then turn it into almost an arthouse film. Hard to imagine a big studio biting on that pitch, and yet they did. Maybe it was a Phoenix passion project or something? It'd almost have to be.

- Coach

Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:07 pm
Stranger

Hah, I just finished Joker movie for the first time like 4h ago.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:43 pm
Felix Rex

Unlike you guys, I watched that one soon after it came out. :roll: I agree, it was a pretty good movie, though a bit difficult to watch and not likely one I'd rewatch again.

Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah it's a weird movie. Good, but weird.

I watched 1917 today and good lord that was a good one. Especially from a cinematographic pov. I started it thinking "eh, maybe I'll watch a part of it now and the rest later" but I just couldn't pull myself away from the action. Really good.

- Coach

Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:09 pm
Felix Rex

oh yea, we watched that. That is a brutal film. Between that and the German remake of All Quiet on the Western Front, it was a good year for how bad WWI was. Which if you haven't watched All Quiet... I'd recommend that as well.

Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Funnily enough you're not the only person to recommend All Quiet after I gushed to them about 1917...the other one was pretty insistent that it was even better than 1917, because it was bleaker and had less of a 'happy' ending compared to it. I will admit that
the superior officer actually listening to him and calling off the attack was a bit of a cop-out, and even felt like something the studio pushed instead of the director or script writer.
But it was still a really good movie aside from that. :)

Didn't watch anything new lately but I did watch Home Alone again for the 100th time on Christmas Eve, and it's still great. :P

- Coach

Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:03 pm
Felix Rex

lol, man, it's been a really long time since i watched Home Alone. I'm more a Die Hard kind of guy for Christmas movies. I think all Shiny and I watched was Bad Santa, which I mentioned above. Not feeling very nostalgic of late.

Hmm... seems I didn't mention it, but we'd said that over Thanksgiving break we would rewatch all of the Star Wars movies. Though that didn't happen, we got a good start and then wrapped up the rest in the following week or two. I definitely love Star Wars, but man... Attack of the Clones really isn't very good. Same can be said for The Last Jedi, though I'm leaning on that movie actually being the worst of the whole series at this point. Oh well, that doesn't keep me from looking forward to future Star Wars movies. Despite the lackluster nature of the latest trilogy, I actually like all of the actors. The failing was in writing and directing.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next