It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 53  Next
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
Recently watched (a part of) The Net with Sandra Bullock, pretty hilarious seeing them messing around with floppy disks etc ... we're getting old :)

~King of Thieves~

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Minor Diety

Haha yeah man. You know what's funny though, that bothers me much more than the lack of cell phones in old movies. You know, them having to be physically near a landline to be able to make a call. It's perhaps because we still grew up without cell phones, but I think movies have also always been careful with them as plot devices. In the older movies they made it relatively easier to make calls when the characters needed to ('oh, a phone, what a coincidence) and in the newer ones they generally don't overuse cell phones ('I dropped my phone and now it's broken'). So it doesn't really feel all that different.

- Coach

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:47 am
Felix Rex

Speaking of TV shows, have you guys watched The Expanse yet? We probably talked about this already, but my memory is suffering lately. :roll: Handmaid's Tale is mostly great, interspersed with some boring episodes. Westworld is mostly good, interspersed with more boring episodes. The latest season was a bit annoying with its continuity issues... too much ambiguity as to when things happened on the timeline. Also been watching the latest season of Narcos... decent stuff, but not particularly amazing.

I did finally watch Alien: Covenant. It was alright. Some of the reveals have me conflicted...
Prometheus made it clear that the human race is the result of the Engineer race's genetic meddling or whatever. One of my takeaways was that they had been wiped out a long time ago, probably because of their experimentation with biological warfare. At then end, they flew off to see what had happened. Covenant (eventually) reveals they flew to a new planet... and there was a whole civilization right there. The Engineer race was fine and current. But David decided to wipe them out for some reason. That was a bit jarring. Also, he killed the heroine from Prometheus offscreen for experimentation? Lame.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha you're spot on for both The Handmaid's Tale and Westworld. :-) Luckily they are both really well filmed and acted shows, which kinda saves the boring exposition/bridging episodes. In a way it also makes the actual events in the other events all the more impactful and shocking, too. Compare that to another (imho) enjoyable show like The 100, which has so much potential but kind of wastes on it on having a shocking reveal/cliffhanger/death in EVERY episode....it's gotten to the point where I know that if two people are happy for 3 seconds then I'm sure something catastrophic will happen in a matter of minutes. Stretch it out a little guys....you got several season to do this shit in. Don't have to go Handmaid's Tale or Westworld, but don't do it every 30 minutes either. :roll: Show like Battlestar Galactica or even Breaking Bad did that a lot better (and I'm not even a Breaking Bad fan).

Never watched the Expanse or even heard about it, but will give it a try now.

@ Covenant

Yeah the offscreen killing of Shaw was a downer. It smacks of casting/payment issues rather than any real narrative choice. As for David killing the engineers, I think it was a sense of poetic justice? The engineers created humanity and then wanted to wipe them out (and failed). The first engineer they meet almost instant rips David's head off and tries to complete his mission to kill the human race. In the end, it is an android created by humans created by the engineers who destroys the engineers utterly. He also recites the most famous like from Shelley's poem "Ozymandias": "Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair!". The poem is about the passing nature of power, so it fits with that reading. In another sense, it also fits with David's new role as a 'creator' or even 'destructor', from his experiments on the planet (with Shaw for example). He has now become the 'king of kings' (the title of Ozymandias in the poem), bypassing all that came before him. In a way he is the culmination of creation - at least compared to the humans and engineers - considering his vast inteligence, durability, survival skills and that he is immune to the xenomorphs.

- Coach

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 am
Stranger

Yea i watched 3 seasons of expanse some time ago. Every time that high ranking female politician speaks I expect Tali to walk onto the scene :D as she's the one that did voice for the admiral/boss.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Felix Rex

Oh, I had no idea she was involved with that (Tali/Expanse). I know her from another show, but at the moment can't really place it. *shrug*

Recently watched the end of all things on Netflix. It was actually decent, unlike a lot of Netflix shows (like Bright). I'd recommend watching it if you can for free. :roll:

Finished watching Narcos. Again, it's ok, but not much better than that.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Shohreh Aghdashloo - Admiral Shala'Raan vas Tonbay of Mass Effect.

Just to clarify, Tali or her actress has nothing to do with The expanse. Just when the above mentioned actress speaks my mind goes Mass Effect.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 am
Minor Diety

Watched two movies recently, both of them good to great :)

The Endless: low budget horror movie, intriguing and mysterious. Highly recommended! https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_endless/

Avengers: Infinity War: I hadn't seen it before, believe it or not. And it was really, really good. It really is amazing how they managed to cram all these different characters in there while doing them all justice, AND maintaining an interesting and coherent storyline. Even the cuts from one 'battlefield' to the other worked really well.

I also liked that Marvel had the balls to end the movie the way it did. I really didn't expect that gut punch. Don't get me wrong, I know they'll find a way to reverse Thanos' spell in an upcoming movie and bring back all of the 'vaporized' heroes, but you gotta give it to them. Seeing the heroes defeated and the villain enjoying that sunset, it's some ballsy shit. I actually kind of 'liked' Thanos too - I mean, don't get me wrong, he's a genocidal maniac. But he has some complexity and a clear purpose and principle that goes beyond mustache twirling villainy. In many way he is nobler than some of the more flaky anti-heroes like Loki. Josh Brolin did a great job on the voice acting, too. It's not easy to make a giant purple man look both menacing and pitiful. Anyway, what seems clear is that Dr. Strange traded his infinity stone for Ironman's life because Ironman needs to survive as he will die in the eventual defeat of Thanos, bringing back all the other guys. Why else would he have done it after reviewing those supposed 14 million possible outcomes?

- Coach

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:18 pm
Stranger

Saw the Solo: Starwars Story film. It was actually quite enjoyable. A bit predictable but then again it has to tie into the greater narrative.

I really liked the vortex/space monster scene

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 pm
Felix Rex

Cool, glad you like Solo. So did I. Lots of negativity from other quarters. *shrug*

I watched Mandy recently. It's an absolutely ridiculous Nicholas Cage movie. It's so insane it's worth watching (so long as you're not paying very much). There's also a very Nicholas Cage crazy eyes moment.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I also saw Infinity war which was ok. I watched Thor Ragnarok a few days prior to it abd the two movies are quite different in tone and humor. I liked Ragnarok but Infinity war... somehow i couldn't bring myself to care.

However about a week and half before the above movies I watched Captain America Civil War which in my opinion is without a doubt the best Marvel comic movie. The action, the villain, the culmination of the story - it was just so good. Definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am
Felix Rex

I think my favorite Marvel movie was Captain America: Winter Soldier. Infinity war was ok. I actually didn't care at all about Civil War. :roll:

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Winter Soldier?! I mean I guess Bucky Barnes looks vaguely like you Satis, maybe you felt a kinship? :P (he's actually Romanian btw, which I only found out today - so not too far from your/pour Hungarian roots reall).

And yeah Peltz, Ragnarok basically is a comedy, so it really felt off to me too. I mean sure it doesn't have to be doom and gloom all the time but I always thought Thor was a pretty serious buzzkill. I like my comedy in a Spiderman or even Ironman movie, but Thor?

Saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer yesterday and it was pretty standard popcorn fare. Definitely ok to watch when you're bored, and for the novelty of Lincoln decapitating vampires with an axe, but nothing more than that. :P Oh and I watched Deadpool 2! Very funny, but a bit less so than the first one. Ryan Reynolds is perfect as Deadpool though.

Also started watching the third season of the Man in the High Castle and it's a lot better than season 2. Feels like the showrunners have stepped away from the mystical stuff a bit and embraced the scifi angle completely, which (in my book) really gives the show a new boost. The alternate reality of the axis as the only remaining world powers after winning WW2 is still really cool/creepy and well-developed though.

- Coach

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 pm
Felix Rex

Funny... we picked up Man in the High Castle recently and all the alternate reality, cross-dimensional travelling thing was just meh. Ah well, to each their own. We watched a season and change of Ozark recently... tv show about a guy laundering drug cartel money in the Ozarks. Anyway... kind of predictable. I burned out. Lately started watching Sabrina. Hearing people regularly say "hail Satan" brings a smile to my lips, but 3 episodes in I'm not sure what to think yet.

Watched a movie called Galveston recently. One of the more depressing movies I've seen recently. I swear, it must've been Russian... fighting against the big guy, losing, and giving up. *shrug*

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, have you forgotten that Rocky (the original) also loses the fight? The movie literally ends with him losing and going 'I don't give a shit, I gave it my best, ADRIAAAN". Granted, it's a little more positive, with some great music.

Re: Man in the High Castle, I dunno, I like that they embrased the sci fi a bit more. The series as it is now is a more accurate reflection of the themes and tone of Philip K. Dick's work, too. Not that that is what's important for it to be a good show, but since I like PKD's work it makes sense I like it when the series gets closer to it. :P

- Coach

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 53  Next