It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
So, as you might remember, my view is that 95% of films are shit. However, every now and then, you get a real gem.

Last year I saw Dune (2021) and I thought it was brilliant. I can't wait for Dune 2 to come out this year!

Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:59 pm
Stranger

I liked it as well and I've been purposely avoiding any trailer or video discussing it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:40 am
Minor Diety

Same here. Originally Niall wanted to see part 1 in the cinema; I forget why we didn't. Stupid prices probably. So there's a chance we'll go see part 2. Cinema or at home, I'm looking forward to it either way

Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
Despite the lackluster nature of the latest trilogy, I actually like all of the actors. The failing was in writing and directing.

True, Adam Driver is a great actor, and most of the supporting cast is fine as well. Daisy Ridley I'm a bit meh on.

Home Alone holds up pretty well btw, but after seeing tons of modern movies I suddenly realized halfway watching it that I hadn't seen a single non white person during the entire first half of it. :lol: Now, most of the movie is set in one house and most of the characters are part of the same family so it's really not that unusual, nor do I care, but it was just strange to realize this compared to modern day movies where they will invariably have one of every race in order to tick all boxes. :roll: Times have changed I guess.

Dune is very high on my "still to watch" list, and it's on Netflix here, but I'm trying to convince my gf to watch it with me. Which isn't easy considering it's 2.5 hours long and she doesn't have the attention span for it. :lol:

- Coach

Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:54 am
Minor Diety

If it helps, tell her I rarely have the attention span for more than 1 hour these days but I happily got hooked into it

Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Tell here there is a hunky/cute protagonist + Javier Bardiem and she will be sold :)

Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm
Felix Rex

I've been a Dune fan since I watched the original movie. I've since read the books and watched the TV miniseries. The latest movie really did Dune right. I'm not huge on Timothée Chalamet as Paul, and I'll probably feel the same about Feyd when it's not Sting playing him. :roll: But that's more based on my prior biases than anything about the actors. I'm really glad the story was split into 2 movies. Trying to do it all in a single movie would've made it feel rushed.

BTW, I know I've said this before, but the cinematography is absolutely top notch. The use of color and light is extremely good. That's a strong reason to watch it in a theater.

Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Weird coincidence, but stumbled across an article in Wired talking about a recently rediscovered half-finished Dune Messiah movie script from David Lynch. https://www.wired.com/story/david-lynch-dune-sequel-script-unearthed/. It sounds freaking awesome. Apparently a lot of attention is spent on the Bene Tleilax, which are absolutely awesome.

Quote:
Scytale's friends are laughing and wildly rolling marbles under their hands as they watch Scytale sing through eighteen mouths in eighteen heads strung together with flesh that is like a flabby hose. The heads are singing all over the pink room. One man opens his mouth and a swarm of tiny people stream out singing accompaniment to Scytale. Another man releases a floating dog which explodes in mid-air causing everyone to get small and lost in the fibers of the beautiful carpet. Though small they all continue to laugh, a laughter which is now extremely high in pitch. Scytale (now with only one head) crawls up a wall laughing hysterically.

Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I watched Dune based on those glowing reviews and I was not disappointed. :) Yeah, it's really, really good. Like Satis said, the cinematography is outstanding - that shot where the Harkonnen fleet fires all those missiles at the outpost in the distance is just :o

But the whole movie was tight and well acted. I knew the main story beats from the Lynch version (didn't read the books) and it actually does pretty much the same things, just...better? Maybe not even better, because the Lynch movie is special in its own way. But tighter, perhaps? This felt more like it was trying to tell the story without unnecessary frills, while Lynch gonna Lynch. I also watched a Half in the Bag episode comparing the two and they talked about how Lynch kinda hated working on Dune, in the sense that he was constantly being pressured by the studio to make it into a more accessible movie, and that it sort of explains why it goes off the rails in the second half.

In any case, really looking forward to part 2 now! And unlike you lot, I won't even have to wait long. :roll: I didn't even recognize Bardem until you told me about him Derf. :lol: But he's great, like everyone else in the movie. As for Chamalet...I get it. He's a bit too pretty and thin to be a great Paul. But he's a good actor at least, and maybe he'll bulk up a little for part 2?

- Coach

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:42 pm
Minor Diety

Watched these two movies recently as well:

Rebel Moon: pretty good sci fi, better than expected. It's no Dune, but it was good. Very curious about the sequel

Matrix Resurrections: Oh god, this was so, SO bad. I mostly kept watching to see if it was going to continue being terrible and it was...just beginning to end. It's been a long time since I've seen a blockbuster movie this bad. There was almost nothing positive about it. The story is just self-indulgent nonsense, the acting is weak (even Reeves'), the action scenes felt less inspired than the original trilogy somehow...just wow. Shocking. No wonder half of the cast didn't want to return and they replaced them with different actors. And while that obviously makes sense in a way - there's no reason a program like Smith needs to look the same - it just fell flat.

Also, Trinity is the one now? WTF.

- Coach

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:55 pm
Minor Diety

Just booked my ticket for Dune: part 2 in Imax 8-) I missed out on seeing the first part in the cinema, so not making that mistake again. If anything I'm overcompensating by going straight for Imax hahaha

I watched All Quiet On The Western Front yesterday, what a haunting, bleak, terrifying masterpiece. There's one scene that just made me go :o :o And it kept dragging on forever. Absolutely brutal. But if you love WWI movies you can't miss this one.

- Coach

Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:07 am
Felix Rex

We're waiting for the crowds for drop off before we see Dune part 2, but we definitely plan on catching it in the theater.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53