It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Job interviews suck ass 
Minor Diety

Post Job interviews suck ass
K, so I actually had my first job 'interview' today. (yeah, I finally applied for some jobs :P )

In short, it was hard and it sucked. I had to be there at 13.30 and was out by 16.45. :? Now, I put 'interview' between quotation marks because it was really more of a preliminary language test than an interview. Basically I was given 2 situations (having to do with insurances) to which I had to respond with a letter. In both cases in English, French and German. :evil:

Now...English was easy, but I don't know if you ever wrote or saw a French business letter...they read like 18th-century poems, I'm not kidding. You have to use all these formulaic sentences and be super-duper-polite. It's a complete bitch. The German letters were very sucky. :) The worst thing of having to write in three languages (and thinking in a 4th) is that you will start confusing them, especially French and English have a lot of similar words. But I even 'invented' the German verb 'refusieren' (to refuse, refuser) :roll:

Last part of the assignment was to write a text of about one page on a topic of choice, but doing 1/3 in every lingo. So I started in French, moved on to English and closed in German. It was a freaking massacre, haha...yeah, I've got a feeling they won't be asking me in for a second round. We'll see. :P

- Coach

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:16 pm
Minor Diety

lol welcome to the real world oxy ;) Sounds like a real bitch of an interview!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

My god. That must be quite a job youre applying for!

Sounds like a worthwhile experience all in all though.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:46 am
Minor Diety

It's not that amazing a job really...the prerequisites are mainly English and French, a third or fourth language is just extra. So I'm not too worried about the German going wrong. :roll: But yeah, glad I did this, 'twas quite the experience.

And Pev, the real world? Pff. :P I'm pretty sure that most jobs in the real world aren't half as hard to get into...it's like i say, there's always the army. :) The retard bucket! (oh yeah, Satis is gonna disagree :P )

- Coach

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:22 am
Felix Rex

Don't make me fly over there (on a business trip I'm sure) to kick your lily Belgian ass. Anyway, jobs suck. The hardest part is getting an interview in the first place... if you manage that, the rest isn't a big deal. Yours was a long time, but meh...I had to interview with my company on 3 different dates and a total of 4 different people. That gets a little irritating after awhile.

And my last job, the guy accused me of cheating on the pre-interview test. Several times. If I hadn't needed the job so bad I would've liked to beat his ass.

"You think I don't know DOS? EH!? I'll deltree your little bastard ass all the way to the root, you little bastard!"

Anyway.....

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I hear you Ox, those interviews can be soooo annoying. And can be so retarded at times. I've taken a lot of different tests, and i think i disliked all of them.

I even had a Word test once, you'd get a screen and questions like "how do you put things in bold" etc. ... some things are easy as pie of course, but when i use word i don't know in which section you find everything (you just open it and immediately see if it's the right category or not), so it got really frustrating at times. That was for a job as criminal research investigator or something (like in CSI) .. why do they need to know Word by heart??

And i agree on the "getting a job interview is very hard", not on the "the rest isn't a big deal" Satis.

~King of Thieves~

Last edited by J on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:11 am
Felix Rex

Well, sure, you wouldn't agree with the rest. After all, you misspelled:

J wrote:
retarted

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol, I don't mind job interviews over here - As said previously, the hardest part is getting one.

I've aced all but 1 interview that I've had, which was for Assitant Branch Manager in the o2 Tamworth store, but after working here for a few months I'm glad that I didn't get it.

Then again, All my interviews were easy shit. Supermarket/Burger king crap.

The o2 one was a lot better, especially as there were other candidates and I'm the one that got picked! (I'm talking about when I first started working for o2, not the ABM interview).

Good luck Ox, I hope you get the job you should have had for the past 5 years.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Good luck Ox, I hope you get the job you should have had for the past 5 years.

:lol:

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:13 am
Minor Diety

Laugh all you want, ya bastards! While i was drinking, having random fun and playing games you were all working your asses off :P I have no regrets...but a little money would have been nice from time to time. :evil:

@ Satis: I know from a friend who also applied for this job that this is 2-3 rounds too. So, if I would get invited for another round I'm gonna have to go back for more tests first. Yawn. :(

- Coach

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:15 am
Minor Diety

Laugh all you want, ya bastards! While i was drinking, having random fun and playing games you were all working your asses off :P I have no regrets...but a little money would have been nice from time to time. :evil:

I was doing all that too, only working aswell. :D

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:25 pm
Minor Diety

lol, fair enough. Still, every hour spent working is an hour of less gaming!! But I do admit that i spend large parts of every day sleeping and generally not doing anything. Meh, whatever, it's fun. :)

- Coach

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:38 pm
Minor Diety

Well, sure, you wouldn't agree with the rest. After all, you misspelled:

J wrote:
retarted

Satis wrote:
I'd hate to have to violently disarm you because your waving a gun around like a moron.

I'd make that "you're" ... at least it's easier to translate that way.

But i think i don't make that much mistakes considering this is pretty much the only place i've been using english for the last couple of years.

Oh and i've been in the "3 different dates of interviews and then they didn't hire me after all" situation, so that's why i don't agree with the rest (to give you an example). Maybe it's different in the States, dunno.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm
Felix Rex

hmmm... touche on the grammar mistake. I just thought it was rather ironic you misspelled retarded of all words. :P

As for hiring...I've been on interviews and not gotten hired, but never been called back to the same company for a return interview and not gotten hired. :/ In fact, I think I've only had one interview where I wasn't hired. Most of the time (for me at least) getting in the door is the hard part. I probably undersell myself... so once I actually get face-to-face they realize I'm a freakin' genius. :roll:

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Just a minor update....still applying and either not getting a response or getting a letter two weeks later saying they don't want to continue with me or that they don't have a job opening suited to my abilities/training or something. What a load of crap...my abilities are well above 95% of the general population, it sucks that I have to convince every other company of that simple fact. :P

I should have done engineering or something, gets you hired in a second. People begging for your services etc. :roll:

- Coach

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next