It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Paintball gun questions: Mainly for Mole 
Minor Diety

Post Paintball gun questions: Mainly for Mole
Moley boy! I think you know a thing or two about paintballing.

1. Do longer barrels lower the velocity of the shot?
2. Do CO2 tanks come with the guns?
3. Is there a certain size ball they take? Or is it all general?
4. Do paintball hosts (like Delta Force) object to you bringing along your own gun?

I've got my eye on a Tippmann A5. Im thinking about buying upgrades too: Long barrel, buttstock.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Duke

Well, I can answer that, but only from a US perspective.

The velocity is standardized at the field. The length of the barrel only effects how much CO2 you use to get to that velocity. The longer barrels actually require more CO2.

It depends on whether you buy them as part of a package deal. If you buy just the gun, then that is all you get.

They are all standard.

No.

The long barrel doesn't do much for you. There are barrels designed to be quieter, as well as the flatline that might be better choices.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Im trying to picture what goes on in a long barrel. The problem is that that rounds are spherical, so not only is it impossible to spin the round with rifling (making the shot more accurate and giving it extra range) but it also takes up more CO2, as you say Pig, because the ball bounces more in the barrel.

What are they good for?

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:59 am
Felix Rex

rifling should work on round projectiles. It worked on muskets and such. :)

Not that I'm adding anything of substance to a paintball discussion.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Good point, but musket balls are lead, so the rifling doesnt remove much of the kinetic energy, unlike a lighter water-based round.

Ive seen a special barrel thatputs backward spin on the ball, effectively increasing range, but i wonder what this does for accuracy. I imagine that as soon as the round exits the muzzle, it will start to glide upwards, then as the kinetic energy starts to decrease it will begin to drop, thus producing much more of a trajectory shot. It could work, but i guess i'd have to adjust the sights for such climb.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:41 am
Minor Diety

The longer the rifle, the more you'll feel sexually reassured of your manhood! You don't need physics to solve that conundrum!

- Coach

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:35 pm
Minor Diety

lol, thanks ox. But they dont stock artillery.

Okay, so i went ahead and bought an A5. I didnt want to go silly on the 20" barrel, but neither did i want to stick with the standard 8.5". So i got the 12". Also got a buttstock, which will come in handy if i mount the tank on the front.

There are lots of configurations, but these are the two most extreme ive managed to come up with. Use your imagination for each application.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:28 pm
Minor Diety

moles away atm and doesn't get much net access, and i know sod all about paintball, but i do know a tippman is a good make

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Since everybody here seems to be adding to this topic, mainly intended for mole, i'll add that i don't know anything about paintball either.

buttstock, that word made me smile :P

~King of Thieves~

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:41 am
Stranger

My advice: stick to the virtual shooting!

My second advice: get help! :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:59 pm
Minor Diety

But you can't hurt people in virtual shooting. You can scar people in paintball, I know I have atleast one to show. Its a round dark ring mark on my inner thigh thats been there 6 months. I was hit bad on a kamikaze assault with no cover. That lesson hurt.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:06 pm
Minor Diety

As most of the questions have been answered, I'll just elaborate on one and give my opinion on you set up there.

The question about do the object to using your own gun - mostly no. But the speed of the gun usually has to be equal to or lower than their on field guns for insurance reasons.

On your set ups, I'd go for the fist - the long part at the back will get in the way.

ideally in paintballing, as they aren't real bullets, you're aiming to keep your self streamlined. What this means is elbows tucked in and the gun fairly central, allowing you to aim down the barrel, whilst maintaining a low profile.

With the extended section to the rear (shoulder rest or whatever you call it) it's going to get in the way and leave you fannying around with extra parts that you don't really need.

Riffling wise it's great to have a good length because it allows you to shoot the all to heavily affected by wind paintballs more accuratley - not neceserally further away though. (Although, of course, it does naturally happen)

The only downside to longer barrels is that when you're pinned down behind a little man made wooden sheild with a gap in the top (big enough to fit your head through kind of gap) it can get fiddly having to keep poking your gun through as it is. The longer (or bulkier) the gun, the more hastle it is.

Er... I think I answered all I could... Just drop a line if you need me to help some mo, but most of the folks here have more that enough adapatable gun knowledge, as we've already seen.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Cheers. All your points are fair, but i like the slick looks.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:30 pm
Minor Diety

What does the whole thing weigh in at with full canister?

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next