It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Dead soldiers 
Minor Diety

Post Dead soldiers
As i read another military related, yet non-hostile plane/helicopted crash deaths article: http://www.icasualties.org/oif/HNH.aspx , i start to wonder if these deaths are all too frequent.

http://www.icasualties.org/oif/HNH.aspx

Doesnt this show something very very wrong? I calculate about 20% of all deaths are "non-hostile".

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:55 am
Minor Diety

I think friendly fire is an almost integral part of most warfare...but then I'm not an expert.

If you want to see friendly fire ratings equal deaths caused by enemies, recruit me into your army. If you do it by accident, is it still called 'friendly fire'? :roll:

- Coach

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:22 pm
Felix Rex

military service is dangerous, even during peacetime. People die all the time. I don't find it to be too far fetched. Hell, look how many people die on a daily basis from car crashes.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, but come on! 20% of war deaths could be largely down to technical failures/human error? Thats fucked up. Shit tech, or not enough training?

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:51 pm
Felix Rex

ground down tech and not enough sleep, probably.

When I was in Korea, I was present when one of my PATRIOT launchers reset its internal clock. Basically, every hour it runs, it ticks over a little counter, like an odometer. It resets at 9,999 hours. That's 416 day of continual operation (over probably 6+ years).

Everything in the military gets rode and rode adn rode until it's practically falling apart. Including the soldiers. I remember this fine day when we got to bed around midnight, then had to wake up at 1:30am, drive to the hospital, and participate in an exercise. At about 4:30 we go to go home. They were nice...we got to skip PT that morning, so we were allowed to sleep in until 8am! It was amazing.

Anyway, I'm not surprised. Could it be a coverup for casualties? Maybe...but why report any? They could ALL be accidents, and they could report maybe 10 friendly deaths a month.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]