It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Bush wants biometrics 
King

Post Bush wants biometrics
This is from his speech.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/15/ ... index.html

Quote:
Third, we need to hold employers to account for the workers they hire. It is against the law to hire someone who is in this country illegally. Yet businesses often cannot verify the legal status of their employees, because of the widespread problem of document fraud. Therefore, comprehensive immigration reform must include a better system for verifying documents and work eligibility. A key part of that system should be a new identification card for every legal foreign worker. This card should use biometric technology, such as digital fingerprints, to make it tamperproof. A tamper-proof card would help us enforce the law, and leave employers with no excuse for violating it. And by making it harder for illegal immigrants to find work in our country, we would discourage people from crossing the border illegally in the first place.

Tue May 16, 2006 5:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

yea, I actually watched his little speech yesterday. Happened to be good timing for that...I rarely watch tv. Anyway, a few observations:

1. Bush's speech making skills appear to have improved. I wasn't completely irritated by his way of speaking.

2. Finally we're going to enforce immigration law.

3. The use of "biometric" made me worried. Thankfully, it only applies to legal aliens, not citizens. When they try to issue a biometic national ID, I will be VERY unhappy.

4. Possible exemption for old-school illegals? There was a part of the speech where he basically said that anyone that had been in the country long enough to "put down roots" that they'd get a chance to immigrate legally without deportation. I don't know how the hell this is supposed to work.

5. National guard on the borders! Woo!

Tue May 16, 2006 9:05 am
Profile WWW
King

Biometrics for immigrants today, citzens tommorrow...

Tue May 16, 2006 10:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

4. Possible exemption for old-school illegals? There was a part of the speech where he basically said that anyone that had been in the country long enough to "put down roots" that they'd get a chance to immigrate legally without deportation. I don't know how the hell this is supposed to work.

It's been done here before. We had a big surprlus of sans-papiers ("paperless") immigrants so there was a big one-time "regularisation". Comes down to it that anyone who could prove certain things (grasp of language, been here for a few years, family here, whatever) was given a work permit and a chance to stay here -legally. It was a good thing, imo. All thos ppl who had entered the country as an illegal immigrant years ago were given a chance to actually be part of the economy. (if you do odd jobs etc without paying taxes, you don't contribute) They're not gonna vanish, so better take them in.

and lol @ national guard. :roll: Like that's gonna help a lot to stop immigration...Bush should invest his time in a proper policy instead of putting the army at the border.

- Coach

Wed May 17, 2006 3:50 am
Felix Rex

I think we should build a big wall. And remember those automatic machine guns from aliens? The ones that chewed up aliens like they were nothing? Yea...put a couple of those very 20 feet. I think that'd cut down on illegal immigrants something fierce. :twisted:

Wed May 17, 2006 8:05 am
Profile WWW
King

Anyone would think this was some Nazi regime dedicated to keeping the pure people safe, or prevent them from running away...

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Wed May 17, 2006 8:08 am
Minor Diety

The US is becoming more and more like Starship Troopers every day it seems. With illegal immigrants as the 'bugs'. :roll:

I bet Satis and 11B would have liked mixed showers with Denise Richards and co. :twisted:

- Coach

Thu May 18, 2006 2:36 am
King

Well so would you apart from would she shower with a yeti?

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Thu May 18, 2006 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]