It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
'Ecstasy' Drug May Yield New Parkinson's Drugs 
King

Post 'Ecstasy' Drug May Yield New Parkinson's Drugs
Link

Quote:
Aug. 1, 2005 -- Amphetamines -- especially the drug known as ecstasy -- may prompt new Parkinson's treatments, based on tests done on mice....

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Stranger

I guess we'll have big boom of parkinson disease in the near future if you get my meaning :D :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:11 am
Minor Diety

I could be wrong, but isn't xtc (or closely related dope) already in practical use among Parkinson patients? Just a vague idea, no clue.

- Coach

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:42 am
Minor Diety

Yeah i had the same feeling like you Ox: "Isn't there already some drug that turned out to be good for Parkinson?"

SO i guess it's not just a vague idea.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:19 am
Felix Rex

I could SWEAR there were studies linking XTC to CAUSING Parkinson's. What a fucked up world.

from Wikipedia
Quote:
Research at the University of Manchester indicates that ecstasy dramatically reduces tremors in patients receiving L-DOPA treatment for Parkinson's Disease.

A research team led by Dr. George A. Ricaurte at Johns Hopkins University implicated MDMA as a cause of Parkinson's-like brain abnormalities in monkeys. In a now-retracted study, they suggested that a single use of MDMA caused permanent and serious brain damage. These claims were hotly disputed by physicians, therapists, and other experts, including a team of scientists at New York University. Criticisms of the study included its use of injection rather than oral administration; that this type and scale of damage (>20% mortality) would translate to hundreds of thousands or millions of deaths which had not materialized in the real world amidst extremely broad global MDMA usage; and, perhaps most important, that other research teams could not duplicate the study's findings.

On September 6, 2003, Dr. George A. Ricaurte and his team announced that they were retracting all results of their commonly cited and controversial study. The researchers said that the labels on the drugs had been somehow switched, and they had inadvertently injected their experimental monkeys and baboons with methamphetamine instead of MDMA. The chemical supplier, Research Triangle Institute, has publicly claimed that the proper drug was supplied, and Ricaurte has yet to pursue them for their alleged error.

Ricaurte had also come under fire for supplying PET scans to the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy that were used in anti-drug literature (Plain Brain/Brain After Ecstasy) that seemed to suggest MDMA created holes in human brains, an implication that critics called misleading. Ricaurte later asked the Agency to change the literature, citing the "poor quality" of the images.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:14 am
Profile WWW
King

That whole "this is your brain on drugs" thing is so totally propaganda. The US's leading research on the subject was done by 1 doctor back in the 70's or 80's and other doctors claimed that his findings where bent toward the US's policy.

a simple scare tactic. I saw it on like 60 mintues or something. The Us is using the same policy toward ectasy.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

yea, I agree. The US has had that policy for decades. For anyone that hasn't already seen it, check out reefer madness. It's hilarious.

IMDB

Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]