It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
Quote of the day 
Stranger

Try not to derail too much here, or im going to ask for a split/delete.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:42 am
Stranger

Quote:
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colon"."

Quote:
"Pussy is like Visa, accepted everywhere"

Be well or Get Help!!

Last edited by Peltz on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:31 am
Stranger

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power

William Shakespear:
Quote:
O, it is excellent to have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant

Tao Te Ching:
Quote:
Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:12 pm
Stranger

Quote:
Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Lord Macaulay
Quote:
The highest proof of virtue is to possess boundless power without abusing it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:00 pm
Felix Rex

Quote:
Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like

Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Lupus in fabula, Sat. I just thought on that topic. A direct response:
Quote:
Power doesn't corrupt a person.
It just gives it an opportunity to show off its corruptness.

-- Me

Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Most of those humble and modest people is just having problem with expressing themselves. By remaining silent and peaceful (and not expressing negative emotions) they cause sympathies from the other people, which only makes the thing worse. They take it as reward and stimulation to remain silent and don't try to change people's minds. Their behavioral curve looks perfectly immovable from the apparent course.

But poke them with just a bit more self-esteem (for example power over whole $10M). Set them free. And they will show off where this curve really goes. The real problem is that after they dare leaving the behavioral area by which everybody knows them and finally start to explore their real selves, they will make the first baby steps playing with no-small stuff, unlike the other people did. Thus the consequences of mistakes will be also huger. Even worse: in those baby steps they will act very likely just like children while others will expect grown up reactions from them. This would very likely lead to an isolation from all those people who don't understand them, and treating yesterday's acquaintances worse than total strangers.

This end-result isolation didn't appear from nowhere. It is the same isolation layer they used to hide their undeveloped personalities from the outside world. Now they have to isolate (likely) all those people whom they were 'hiding' from, and live the 'new reality'.

Those people didn't go corrupted. They just didn't develop freely / didn't have chance to steam off their first steps at the young age or they just simply got chance to show off how corrupted their inner (us previously unknown) world was.

Sometimes I think I should've studied psychology / psychiatry. :P

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

There are two cupsizes in anime, DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD and non-existant. Anything in between is a myth.

ZeroPunctuation wrote:
I've already covered in this weekly adventure in good-natured fond ribbing that I think JRPGs can all suck on the unpedicured toenails of a menopausal valkyrie. Western RPGs, on the other hand, I've had a more changeable relationship with. While JRPGs generally involve a bunch of angsty twenty-year-olds with stupid hairdos following a strictly linear storyline when they aren't standing in a row in front of dancing goblins arguing over who's on potion duty, Western RPGs tend to feature more variety and less skinny underdressed girls claiming to be men.

- Coach

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:00 am
Stranger

ZeroPunctuation wrote:
I've already covered in this weekly adventure in good-natured fond ribbing that I think JRPGs can all suck on the unpedicured toenails of a menopausal valkyrie. Western RPGs, on the other hand, I've had a more changeable relationship with. While JRPGs generally involve a bunch of angsty twenty-year-olds with stupid hairdos following a strictly linear storyline when they aren't standing in a row in front of dancing goblins arguing over who's on potion duty, Western RPGs tend to feature more variety and less skinny underdressed girls claiming to be men.

Amen to that.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:16 am
Felix Rex

With a stop light, green means 'go' and yellow means 'slow down'. With a banana, however, it is quite the opposite. Yellow means 'go', green means 'whoa, slow down', and red means 'where the heck did you get that banana?'

- Mitch Hedberg

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

To swear or insult properly you also have to pick up the right moment, or it would lose any sense.

- Me

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Plato

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:37 am
Stranger

My wish is my mission, My dream is my vision, and Greed is the beginning of all.

Peltz, with a lil help from a friend.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 pm
Stranger

"It's an extreamly shity situation, buts its the fertilizer for our future.."

Lennart Meri, former President of Estonia. RIP

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:02 pm
Stranger

Everything i have given has stayed with me..

Words inscribed on the east wall of the Virgin Mary chappel in Oleviste church.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next