It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
What Are You Doing In The Summer? (Northern Hemispherians) 
Minor Diety

heh there's a college here thinking of changing. Basically when I did my A-levels (first step of non-compulsory education - last two years), you chose 3 or 4 subjects you wanted to do, and that was all you did. But one of the colleges in Scarb is now thinking of changing to some weird named thing... basically the same level of education as A-levels and still lasting 2 years, but just like compulsory education, you HAVE to do maths, english, science and one foreign language, plus whatever subjects you chose.

Seem to have 'Bactorate' or something like that in my head for the name of it, but not too sure on that...

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

- Coach

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:02 am
Minor Diety

lol *shrugs* i'll have to check up on that but basically it sounds like a right bastard to work through!

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Damn it it's hot these days.. and that in the middle of my exam weeks. :x

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:50 pm
Felix Rex

anyway, that's what our college is like. A list of mandatory courses that must be taken by everyone, and then specific courses that you have to take for your degree. In many cases you have options as to what to take...ie, 1 economics, but you can choose from microeconomics, macroeconomics, or some retard home economics or something. There are usually several open credit hours where you can take whatever you want, like 8 hours of sciences (your choice) or liberal arts or whatever.

High school has some leeway, but not much. You have to have so many years of math, sciences, soft science, etc. :p

Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

- Coach

Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:23 pm
Minor Diety

and yep, its way too frigging warm here. Had our warmest day since '76 on sunday... and then we had 3 thunderstorms, causing 1 months rain fall in 3 hours (70mm of it in total), causing severe flooding (4ft wall of water at one point thanks to the moors and valleys) in a couple of towns and villages about half an hour from here. And have been warned it could happen in Scarborough. It even completely washed away a road bridge in one of teh villages, and has made another road bridge in another village 'perilous'.

heh anyhoo basically in our schooling system (back in my day ;) lol) it was 5 - 16, full days of 9 - 4 mon to fri. Then from 16 - 18 you could either work or go to college, which generally averages out around 20 hours total mon-fri, depending on where you go and what you take, and then 18 - whenever you can go to uni whihc is supposedly 40 hours a week but only about 20 of those hours are usually 'contact' time. The rest is supposedly self study.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

soft sciences = liberal arts, basically. Economics is a soft science.

Clicky

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
King

So's Archaeology because it combines science and arts

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4