It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Satis, luck for us. 
Minor Diety

Dunno how it works in american military, but if you would go in the army now ox i think you`re automatically an officer since you got a university degree (well in 1-2 months that is) .. dunno what rank or such you would get though.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:47 am
Felix Rex

In the US, you have to take ROTC in college to automatically go in as an officer. Just a bachelor's degree doesn't get you it (though it does get you E4).

ermm...E1 is private also. We called them E0, though, since they're the bottom of the barrel private. Kinda like 'cadet' is the bottom-of-the-barrel officer.

Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

what's ROTC? Damn abbriviations. :P lol@ E0..that's prolly a collection of retards only used as cannon fodder :roll:

About officer-university thing: you have to know that most (if not all) uni courses in Belgium are masters; i.e. we almost never stop at bachelor's and master's is the logical goal. Bleh, it's hard to explain, it's a totally different system. Bachelor's and master's have only been used for two years now over here, in an attempt to synchronize courses all over Europe and with the US and UK. It has its pro's and cons, but i like it. before that you'd have a hard time getting into a Uk or US uni with your degree because it was looked upon as "inferior", while in fact we have a better training than most over here. :( So it's cool.

Erh..anyway, think about this: J and I (in a year or so) would be officers if we joined the Belgian army. How's that for scary image huh? :twisted: Does the Us army allow foreigners in btw? I know Belgian army lets EU citizens serve, so if we get attacked by Holland, the Dutch ion our army would have to fight them. lol.

Ooh, screamers on tv. Love that movie. Been a lot of good b-movie son lately, Escape from LA yesterday...hence the sig

- Coach

Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:09 pm
Minor Diety

As long as we attack Belgium in the second half of the year, when the Belgian budget on ammunition is depleted, I'm sure we'll manage. ;)

Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:43 pm
Minor Diety

lol ammunition? what's that? the only thing our army does is drink beer and sweep the floors ofabandoned army bases...but fear our minesweepers!! :P Oh, and we do have one of the best elite troops around, but those are like 0.01% of the army. :roll:

- Coach

Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:58 pm
Felix Rex

ROTC - Reserve Officer Training Corps. Shiny disagrees with my assertion that you have to take RoTC to become an officer... I stick by it. I dare someone to prove me wrong.

And yes, the US Army does allow foreigners in. Good luck getting a good MOS (job) though.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Those 5 are trained so well they can take on an entire army! HAH! :roll: lol

So, foreign army(wo)men get the crappy jobs overall? heh.

- Coach

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:13 pm
Felix Rex

"You're not American? Welcome to the Infantry!"

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Cool. *joins US army* I wonder how much i'd stick out between all those volunteers. :D I reckon i'd be looking at "cachot" (military imprisonment) or dishonorful discharge in no time. :roll:

- Coach

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:22 pm
King

Shiny disagrees with my assertion that you have to take RoTC to become an officer... I stick by it. I dare someone to prove me wrong.

Your right, partially. You have to go through ROTC in college in become an officer. The only other way is if you have a degree and you are already in the Army and a enlisted soldier(non-officer) and then you can go through a program called "Green to Gold" Its like a school you get sent to, that once finished you become a Officer. Very hard school to get in.

Last edited by ElevenBravo on Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

oh, right, I know about that. OCS (officer candidacy school). She believes that all you need is a bachelor's degree and you can be an officer, period. My understanding is the only thing a bachelor's will get you is e4.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Would it matter if you have bachelor or master (in the US army i mean) in that case, since you say bachelor will get you e4.

So if i understand 11b well, you can take ROTC or you can enlist after you get your degree and then start that green to gold thing which is hard to get in.
Right?

On a side note: anyone got a good tactic on keeping cats away from our garbage (sacks standing outside since we don`t have a garage) .. bastards started to destroy them this week. Answers involving poison or dynamite aren`t considered helpful.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:22 am
King

My understanding is the only thing a bachelor's will get you is e4.

Correct.

There only 2 ways to become an Officer. ROTC or Green to Gold program. Both require a degree if Im not mistaken.
Just haveing a degree alone only gives your E4 which is 1 below a Non-commisoned officer or a NCO as they call it.

Quote:
So if i understand 11b well, you can take ROTC or you can enlist after you get your degree and then start that green to gold thing which is hard to get in.
Right?

Right

Quote:
anyone got a good tactic on keeping cats away from our garbage

Yes. 2. Barbed Wire or a bowl of antifreeze. The cats will drink the anti freeze thinking its water and it will kill them. If you bored you can stake out your trash a few feet away with a bee bee gun and have some fun. They wont return.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:06 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

I don't think J wants to kill the cats dude. :)

But to repeat J's question: does it make a difference (armywise) if you have bachelor's or a master's? J, what is your 'title' exactly? Master of science? or master of physics or something?

- Coach

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:47 pm
Minor Diety

Ehm, i don't exactly know, i guess it would be Master of Science (mark the capital letters ;-) ), it's 'Licentiaat in de Scheikunde' in dutch btw so it could be Master of Chemistry as well.

And i thought excluding dynamite and poison would make clear that i'm not planning to kill the cat. Cats actually, few days ago they were making a lot of noise and fighting under our bedroom window. Yesterday they weren't there, so let's hope they got bored with it.

And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH my gf is watching the Beverly Hills 90210 reruns they're showing on belgium television. :shock:

~King of Thieves~

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next