It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
He shoots HE SCORES! 
Minor Diety

on that muslim thing, i'd not mind if they wanted to wear that around my old school (tho dont think we had any muslims, dont remember any), i'd only mind if they insisted on telling me I should wear one too.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
King

It simply has no place in education.

Should we not teach our children the importance of patriotism for ones country? After all, it is a public school funded by tax payer money and federal funding. Do children not learn about about the history of the US in school, you say it has no place in education but they are going to read about it in school even if they dont say it, so it does have its place in education. Should they not be proud of their homeland? Without the pledge there really is nothing to connect children with to their country. Nothing to make them feel like a active part of the nation. I cant imagine going through school not saying the pledge.

And btw, this nation was founded by people who where being religously persecuted, people who believed and worshiped God. So you might say their prays where answered...?

ANYWAY

I agree we disagree.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:51 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Why would you want to teach patriotism? I would think that if there's reason to be proud of one's country one would automatically feel "patriotic", which is a rather hollow concept on itself anyway.

I like my country, and I wouldn't really wanna live elsewhere, as things are now. Plus I'm very much an active part of it (well, "active" ;) ) and am connected to it. But i've never even taken anything near a pledge, saluted a flag, sang my national anthem or something alike (don't even know my national anthem). Heck, it'd be just the same to me if I spat, pissed and pooped all over my country's flag, history and ideals. But that doesn't mean i don't like it here.

By that I mean that all those "shows of patriotism" are folklore rather than meaningful. Incidentally,the US industry could have a boost by using the time to pledge, salute or sing to work lol. Just kidding there. :)

- Coach

Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:18 pm
Minor Diety

Another sidenote on the muslim thing: i believe last weekend there was a womens football (soccer) match in australia i think, and one of the players wanted to wear her scarf (on her head). Referee didn't agree and postphoned the match a bit, in the end he waited too long and the match wasn't played at all.
Now i can see that this woman wants to wear it, but where do you draw the line? The rule should say: football-outfit and that's it. period. I know that you're not allowed to wear those tight shorts like cyclists wear underneath your short if it's in a different colour And even if it is in the same colour the referee might ask you to take it of. That doesn't bother anyone either, but appearantly it's a rule, so i can see why he said she should take it off.

Btw i know our national anthem, simply due to the fact that as kids we always sang it with when our national soccer team had to play a match. I have known the french national anthem as well, don't ask, a lot of useless stuff packed in my brain. :D

~King of Thieves~

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:21 am
Minor Diety

I agree here. True patriotism shouldnt be taught. The country should eventually through time and experience earn it from the citizen.

May I also add, it may actually be morally wrong to "teach" patriotism. We all know what happened to German nationalist pride dont we? Well, Ox's and J's folks probably know best and so do probably Arathorns.

As for religion in general within the community. I think you should leave religion at home. Immigrants coming into a country leave your stupid fucking Qur'an where it was made, same goes for anyone else.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:57 am
Duke

Patriotism is important, but has no place in school.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:28 am
Felix Rex

I think sex is very important. In comparison, patriotism hardly matters.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:24 am
Profile WWW
King

Im not going to argue anymore than, I agree that I disagree with just about all of you.

BTW my rash is fine, I just had to get a minor skin graph. Luckly the rash didnt infect my ball sack.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:27 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

BTW my rash is fine, I just had to get a minor skin graph. Luckly the rash didnt infect my ball sack.

lol i obviosly missed somthing.

Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3