It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
Bookworms unite !! 
Minor Diety

Omfg, 4 book cases of bibles and no Yeats? :/ :/ :/

Even my small-town library has Yeats, and prolly even in English. (you have to keep in mind that Belgium is partly (4/10th) French-speaking so that English books aren't really common. Mostly Dutch translations and French works) There's not much i can say but a really big WTF :o

Divine Comedy, very nice! :) I don't know too much about Rimbaud tho. Good choice on the PKD works btw. Do Androids... is pretty good, as you might know it formed the basis for Bladerunner. I never read time out of joint myself, but it's said to be ok.

Sorry for invading even more on your privacy, but what Herbert book(s) did you get? hehe

- Coach

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:17 pm
Felix Rex

We got God Emperor of Dune and (I think) Dune Messiah. All hard bound, of course. I've read the whole series, I just wanted to own a nice copy. I tried to force Shiny to do it, but she hates all the names. :) Can't say I blame her... it took me the first three novels to figure out who most persisent characters were.

oh, btw, we went to half-price books. Those're the ones with the bibles and no Yeats. Barnes & Nobles had virtually everything (no satanic bible though, bastards). Ah well, I still have my copy. :)

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Count

Yeah, I can not get into books when I am constantly trying to figure out who everybody is. Must say as I take baby steps into it I will probably love it being that Dune has a complex universe. It is just getting to the confort level to enjoy it, take more work than I have to give right now.

Oh, and since I usually go on book shopping sprees (which I am about to do online) any suggestions on what to pick up. My favorite books are like THX1138, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, 1984, .....

If you can think of something along those lines I should read, please let me know. I'll hold no grudge if I hate it, as frequently I hate what people suggest. *hugs and kisses* 8-)

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:00 pm
Super Moderator

Eh? I get the feeling Satis and Shiny know each other...

Spill the beans! C'mon!

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:14 pm
Minor Diety

LOL...you're waaaaay behind Inqui. :D But i'm not gonna inform you on how the situation is since im' too much of a bastard. :) hehe Anyways, good luck with your exams dude.

Shiny, i'll think of something as a suggestion tomorrow or so, it's 3.30am, just finished a forged book analysis and gotta get up at 7. :) So i rather don't try too hard to think of something atm hehe

- Coach

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:24 pm
Felix Rex

forged book analysis, eh? Sounds...boring, actually. How the hell do you forge a book?

Anyway...I read Valis. I believe 'insane' would be the easiest way to sum up the book. But that wouldn't really sum it up, because it's not about that. erm...pardon me, I marathon-read the book today, which tends to unbalance my mind a bit. :) My final (undigested) interpretation of the book, to quote Shakespeare:

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Obviously there are many levels to it, but in the end, that is my overall impression. As I digest it further, I'll let you know. :)

Oh, and it's nice to finally know where your sig comes from. I figured it was from Civilization or something. heh.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Super Moderator

Yea, exams next week, I go on study leave this wednesday - monday today....

So tell me...

Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:55 am
Felix Rex

hehe. You think we should torture inqui some? :twisted:

Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

that`s a retorical question satis :twisted:

~King of Thieves~

Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:03 pm
Duke

I found this website a while back, it's really spiffy, you guys should check it out.
If you decide to sign up 'somethinksfishy' sent you :wink:

http://www.bookcrossing.com

Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:42 pm
Minor Diety

forged book analysis, eh? Sounds...boring, actually. How the hell do you forge a book?

Hehe, you knew exactly what i meant biatch. :P And writing book analysises on books you didn't read is a skill like any other, i say. :) There's a whole world out there waiting to be deceived in every way possible, and willing to spend time and money on it. (cfr. theories on end of the world, switching poles and whatnot) I'm just providing what the world wants. :) And yes, it's boring, but it pays off, grade-wise. The things you miss by not reading a book don't weigh up against the time you lose having to read a 500-page book. Don't get me wrong, i love reading, but imposed reading is something totally different. Blah.

Anyways...Valis total insanity eh? lol..Ah well, to each his own. Personally i think that underneath the insanity there's a lot worth contemplating. And it's fascinating to see how Horselover Fat jumps from one theory on another, desperately trying to find an explanation for what happened to him (or to PKD, if you like).

For me, the main problem was where to draw the line between the SF story/elements and Dick's autobiographical elements. I always had the idea that he tried to stuff too many ideas at once in Valis, but that's maybe just me. He actually re-wrote the Valis-idea many years later, right before his death.

Anyhoo...apart from the insanity, did you enjoy reading the book? *kinda hopes that the fact that you read it tru in one run is an indication of liking* And i bet your German-background helped a lot in certain parts hehe

mm, i know i promised to suggest some booktitles but i've been home for a bit only again today, so later; :/

- Coach

Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:52 pm
Felix Rex

don't worry about book titles for now, I have alot of books to read.

Yes I enjoyed Valis. There were alot of interesting ideas/theories in there. I had some issues with portions of it (especially the idea that time was a fabrication and not 'real') but overall I enjoyed reading the book.

Insanity... I definetely think it was insane. The whole book is basically about schizophrenia. And various other insanities, but schizophrenia is the overriding one. When you begin to doubt the foundation of reality, you are psychotic (at least clinically). And horselover fat is definetely psychotic. And neurotic.

What kinda bothered me is that, in the end, nothing happened. No psychosis/neurosis was permanently resolved (everything relapsed, if you know what I mean). The relation between what was real and what was fabrication is never really established beyond any doubt. They could all be psychotics, or they could be right. And, if they are right, their escape is not assured.

Anyway, blah, good book. Messed up, but a good book anyway. And yes, the German helped some. :)

Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Super Moderator

J - keep the rhetorical questions to yourself - I'm sick of english - I have a harder than hard exam for english on monday.... 'ox has seen the papers...

On a more positive note, my dad's just got me a Siemens M55 in HK for NZ$300, new [US$150]. Woo!

Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:36 am
Minor Diety

To get back on that Equilibrium movie, I got it really fast but now I don't have time to watch it, although the little bit I saw was very good.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:47 am
Felix Rex

well, whenever you get a chance. I wish I had a personal movie theatre, though... the use of color and sound is best in a theatre. Ah well.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next