It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The effects of the US election on the rest of the world 
Minor Diety

I heard that too on the news, although I don't see how a victory for Kerry would be a victory for terrorism. That's just plain nonsense. But it's not the first time i hear/see Putin tell strange things.

Stocks rising isn't a big surprise, not even to me and i don't even know anything about it, it's just that the insecurity of who would become president was cleared.

Btw the stem-cell thing is supposed to create new cures for diseases etc, i don't see how that could be bad. Must be a christian thing.

Oh and Satis, isn't there a "disable avatar" option, i'm tired of seeing these Bush- and Kerryheads popping up.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:46 pm
King

What Putin is saying is that America is not weak at heart like Spain.
The whole terrorist thing is, just like with Spain, terrorist bombed that train and that effected the elections. 9/11 and Bin Laden, and other terrorist threats that came in warning that if Bush gets re-elected they would strike did not effect the outcome of this election. That’s what Putin means and he’s right. If Kerry would have been elected that would have told terrorist that the terror on the US they are pushing is working on the America people. And with Bush winning we just told the terrorist to eat shit.

The Wall Street thing, if you read the article, it said Wall Street trader where hoping Bush would win. As soon as he became the clear winner stock jumped. Normally, when the incumbent loses the stocks go down. So Bush winning was a plus for the economy.

The stem cell thing is this, republicans and Christian are against stem cell research because you must kill a embryo to get the stem cells. You can get and study stem cell from other things besides embryo's( I think). Anyway, republicans and Christians general are against stem cell research. We can still create new cures for diseases without having to destroy embryos. I know you think in your head that stem cell research is good because it "supposed" to make new cures, etc but that doesn’t make it right. Just like its probably good for the US to just go ahead and take over Europe and make Europeans slaves but that doesn’t make it right.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

I support stem cell research and I support taking over europe and enslaving all europeans.

Vote for me once I turn 35 and can run for president.

And yes, I can turn off avatars and site linking and crap, but our forums would be the suxor.

YAY! The issue I've spent two days working on is fixed! YAY!

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:44 pm
King

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Spain had soldiers in Iraq, then the bombs in Madrid, then elections in which the powers shifted. And the new prime minister ordered troops to withdraw. So the Spanish people didn't want to have soldiers in Iraq. They prolly didn't want it in the first place. I know it seems now that they caved in for the terrorists, and maybe they did, but if the people say "this isn't our war" i think you should listen to the voice of the majority. If Belgium would send soldiers 'to help clean up the mess' as i would call it, i would oppose that. And if elections are held after bomb attacks in Brussels, i would vote for the party that says to withdraw from Iraq since we didn't have anything to do with it in the first place.
I think that's the main explanation for the withdraw of Spain, they have a history of bombings by ETA btw.

If i look at your explanation of the Putin-stuff, i see that terrorists have threatened to strike if Bush gets reelected. Now i don't know much about psychology, but let me refer to the British newspaper incident: i think many americans think "i don't let no terrorist tell me who to vote for", right? I mean i would think that way, 11b you would think so as well i believe. So IF it influenced elections at all, i think it might have been towards Bush' benefit.

Might look for some more info on stem cell research. I suppose these embryo's you're talking about are artificially made in a tube or something? So it's kinda like a question "When do you consider something as life?". Is an embryo of one week already a "valuable human life", or is it after 3 months? Or do you consider sperm cells and egg cells as human life already? Where do you draw the line, and also do you (or they) have any scientific arguments for that?

~King of Thieves~

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:45 am
Felix Rex

agreed on the stem cell crap. I don't consider them viable lives until they're 6 years old, but I'm in the minority. Anyway, it requires a fertilized egg that's started to divide, I believe. The first dividing cells are the stem cells, since they have the capability to create any form of cell in the human body. Using these, we could theoretically custom-grow someone a new set of eyes, any organs, skin, hair, whatever. Assuming this technology is developed, there would never be a donor problem again. IF you needed a new liver, or heart, or you lost 85% of the skin on your body to a fire, the parts needed to fix you would be readily available. I think the benefits to medical science are astronomical... to the level of antibiotics and germ theory, IMO.

anyway....blah on the terrorist thing. Fuck em. I doubt many people in the US were influenced in their votes by any terrorist threat (if any at all).

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 am
Profile WWW
King

The number one issue Americans voted on was morality. Hence Bush winning.

Click Me!

Quote:
In a dozen swing states that decided the presidential election, moral values tied with the economy and jobs as the top issue in the campaign, according to Associated Press exit polls. Terrorism was close behind.

Bush won among those in swing states who picked moral values by 84-15 and he won among those who picked terrorism by 85-15

Click Me

Quote:
No kidding, Stewart
down over vote

President Bush managed to wipe the smirk off Jon Stewart's face - at least for one night.

Having voted for Sen. John Kerry, America's most-trusted name in fake news couldn't conceal his disappointment Tuesday night when he arrived at Comedy Central's "Indecision 2004" party at The Park.

Despite the twinkling donkey-and-elephant-shaped disco balls, "spin-control" roulette wheels with Bush and Kerry's faces, and adoring girls in torn-up "Daily Show" T-shirts, the comic stayed only for a few minutes at the party.

"He's in a really bad mood," one "Daily Show" correspondent told a young staffer.

"Why?" asked the dim minion.

The correspondent pointed to a TV screen with the election returns.

Stewart had suggested last week that Bush, rather than Kerry, would give his show more material. But "Daily Show" correspondent Steven Colbert told us: "It's not worth it. I'd happily be dull for four years instead."

"They haven't counted California yet," his Pollyanna-ish colleague Rob Corddry offered. "Kerry's kickin' ass!"

Correspondent Ed Helms tried to remain fair and balanced.

"I would say there is no shortage of hypocrisy on either side of the aisle," said Helms, who watched the returns with Mena Suvari, Ileana Douglas, Ethan Hawke, Linda Fiorentino, Carson Daly and other guests. "And that's all we need for a good zinger.

It really doesn't matter [who wins]."

Uptown, few people were so sanguine at the party that Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein and cosmetics czarina Georgette Mosbacher threw at the Palm restaurant. Tracking the returns, Democrats and Republicans went through more mood swings than Courtney Love without her meds.

Robert Morgenthau, Alan Cumming, Carl Bernstein, Bianca Jagger, Charlie Rose, Barbara Walters, Ted Forstmann, Tina Brown and Harry Evans, Russell Simmons and Anna Deavere Smith were among those feverishly calling friends on the campaigns and at the networks to get the latest information.

"I've never seen so many distinguished people who don't know what to think," Sony honcho Howard Stringer told us.

Mosbacher, a GOP fund-raising vixen, at first told guests, "It looks like we lost the presidency but we may still knock off [Sen. Tom] Daschle." But soon the Kerry-backing Weinstein was glumly pacing back and forth outside the restaurant.

A GOP acquaintance said consolingly, "In another four years, it could all be different."

Elsewhere around town:

# Howard Dean dropped by Crobar to buck up bummed Dems like Gloria Steinem and Cyndi Lauper. The former presidential candidate even danced to the music of a marching band.

# Bungalow 8 owner Amy Sacco declared that her W. 27th St. hotspot may become "Bungalowland - our own country. We'll secede!"

And where was Bill Clinton? Friends say that the former President, still taking it easy after his heart surgery, watched the returns at his home in Chappaqua.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM
King

Another 4 years of lunacy, inarticulate people, religious morons and stupid wars. Well done America! :argue: :rifle:

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:09 pm
King

And so do 59 million Americans.

Have a great day!

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

And there's no such thing as a bad war or a good peace.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
lol, just noticed your sig satis, very good.

i hate politicians as much as i hate religeon. :twisted:

Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:42 am
Minor Diety

Lol, Satis' signature is only .. mm let me think .. a couple of weeks old?
And it's not that you can easily miss it, it's often bigger than his posts.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:22 am
Minor Diety

I can agree with you Myrddin, except for the stupid wars bit.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:36 am
King

All your ignorant anti-Bush comments really make me happy. I get joy out of knowing that America re-elected Bush and it pisses people off. So please keep them coming. And generalizations like "Bush is a moron" make me laugh so please more of that and say it like you mean it. Maybe if you bolded it and underlined it. Im feeling kind of sick today and I need a good laugh.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:17 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next