It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
time stopping 
Minor Diety

I see what you guys mean with "our way to understand movement", but i think this perception is very important. Like you say, it's our way to understand BUT also to notice movement. So if everything would be moving at once, we wouldn't notice because that's not the way we see/observe things.

Like Satis says: Even if 'reality' is different... does it matter? How would we know? Is reality an inherent, underlying truth of the universe, or is it only what we percieve reality to be?

Example: What if our perception of colours is wrong, like if we see something green it's actually yellow. We wouldn't know and it wouldn't matter. Just those people that are colour-blind can see the real truth and we won't believe them. Only way to test it is through physical tests (say absorption of light), but that stuff is all man-made, so it wouldn't matter.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:16 am
Minor Diety

Colour is strange anyway. Even those who aren't colour blind, one may see a colour as bluey green, the other many see it as blue, someone else as green *shrugs* Colour has always been a bit of a mystery to me, no two people ever see the exact same shade.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

But most people have the same perception of wether a shade is beautifull or ugly.
Maybe that is because ideas about beauty and uglyness are not genetical, but cultural defined.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:18 am
Minor Diety

Parts of this discussion are beginning to sound like a PKD novel. :)

- Coach

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:36 am
Felix Rex

Yes, yes they are. BTW, started reading A Scanner Darkly. Anyway...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thought about perception of color. I figured that might be why people have different favorite colors. This guy's favorite is blue, this one's is green, this one's is red, etc. Maybe, as far as their perception goes, it's all the exact same color. :) Being a bit older and wiser now, I don't think so anymore, but it's an interesting idea.

Then there's the internet. If you sit down to think about it, this is probably the biggest mind-fuck mankind has ever invented. What do you perceive the internet as? To me it's a rough collection of websites, files, etc. They're non-spacial because they're anywhere I want htem to be (basically). However, if you break it down it becomes just code, and below that electrons on a wire or a magnetic field on a hard drive. Anyway, I love computers, but if you think too deeply into them it can be kinda hard to wrap your head around.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

True, there are a lot of ppl to whom the internet is just...well, the internet. They don't think of it as a huge network of tons and tons of pc's and servers linked together (not going to think as far as code here), but rather as one huge database to which they instantly connect to. :/ You could argue that this is a matter of knowledge rather than perception, but in a way, knowledge IS perception. e.g. head wrapping around the concept of pc's/internet.

Cool about A Scanner Darkly...let me know when you finish it.

P.S. I'm not being held responsible for saying obvious and.or totally besides the point stuff in this post. :P

- Coach

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:43 am
Minor Diety

I think the basis of which people "prefer" certain colours to others is due to the image that it gives to their brain.

Example: Brown reminds me of shit, so its one of the last colours in my preference. Green on the other hand is my favourite simply due to its simbolic meaning.

And concerning Time, I think Time is the centre of all the universe. Its the basis for existence. And im not too sure what Mole means by "Its man made".

Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:50 am
Minor Diety

He thinks we invented time. This is off course utter bullshit, we just gave it a name.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:54 am
Felix Rex

lol. Jeez Arathorn, no need to couch your words or anything. *cough* Anyway, everyone's reality is different.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm not saying we invented the passing of one moment to another, I'm saying we invented a way to understand it and called it time. So yeah, pretty much what you said. But like satis also said - How do we know what "reality" is. And on the theory of the universe ever expanding, we could be in one of these "time rips".

Derf - One thing i don't get about the colour green. Doctors wear green, because it apparently slows the blood. Why don't we use green bandages?

Yup, i too came up with the "whats to say someones red isn't my blue?" and although you say you got "older and wiser" I still think it's very possible that there is this "one colour" that is everyone's fav. Maybe the boys blue IS the girls Pink! (like Ox's pink shirt in UO)

Erm. I read to much.... ooh, Gfreeman. Unless Frooze is a new word, you mean "Freeze" or "Frozen" But yes, this concept is interesting to me. But I've read to many posts! Brain hurting! Erm...

We should all be in MENSA. There was more i had to say erh... *skims*

Back to you satis, The internet. Yeah, it's a pretty twisted and strange thing. The only thing that makes it more... erm, "Comprehendable" is that it is man made. The same is with time in a sense. Whilst we didn't build it, we built the way we understand it.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Do colours slow blood? That would be new to me. I think green doesn't show the blood, wich is a good thing, no patient needs to know the doctor just cut off someone's leg. 8-)

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:59 am
Minor Diety

slow blood - show blood, looks similar but it's a world of difference. that it would slow the blood was new to me as well, never heard of it and i couldn't understand why. Maybe you missed a letter mole?

~King of Thieves~

Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:35 am
Minor Diety

The only way it would slow blood would be by relaxing the patient psychologically and thus lower his heart rate so that there is less blood coming out.

If on the other hand you meant "show". Then the reason why they dont make bandages green is due to 2 reasons:

1) With bandages, you NEED to see if the patient is still bleeding or not.

2) It costs too much.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:43 am
Marquis

I'm not saying we invented the passing of one moment to another, I'm saying we invented a way to understand it and called it time.

Well then surely if moments stopped passing from one to another i.e. time stopped, you still wouldn't be able to move see hear etc. technically you'd be dead.

So if you ask me you just undermined your entire time being man made argument...

And yeah green doesn't really show blood, whereas for bandages you want to be able to see if someone is still bleeding hence making them white.

Colours are caused by different frequencys of light waves, it's our brain interpretation which lets us see the shade of something, and everyones brain is different so people think they are different. It's not like you can show someone two different shades of the same colour and they think they are the same, it's they just have different opinions on what's what.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:46 am
Minor Diety

Im not sure what youre getting at Mole. And im not sure about Frannys relevance to the post and quote.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next