It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
A Brief Sketch On The Whole Situation 
King

It may be a bit of a shortcut but you could compare Iraq's situation with that of Jugoslavia after Tito. A dictator is able to keep it all together and when he passes away, hell breaks loose. If you consider how long it has taken for the Balkans to become quiet again you may conclude Iraq isn't doing that badly.
Off course the whole situation wasn't helped by the low amount of troops the US sent to Iraq and the fact that there was no post-war Iraq plan. I'ld like to thank Donald Rumsfeld for that. :roll:

The post war plan was to setup a government and get the hell out and thats where the problem lies. Iraq's failure to get the government going due to its lack of unity.

Tue May 23, 2006 10:14 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Ok, alot of that stuff was pretty obvious to me compared to when the thread first opened.

So lets spice things up:

6) What was the reason behind 9/11?

11b, i already know your take on this, as weve talked extensively in the past.

Tue May 23, 2006 10:28 am
Minor Diety

You should take into account that creating a government from scratch is not done in a hurry. In the meantime, you should have enough soldiers in the area so you can guard important places like army depots, government institutions and places with valuable stuff like musea. You know that police won't function directly after the invasion, and you've just killed half of the army and fired the other half. How on earth could you think setting up a government and getting the hell out of there would have worked? Invading a country and getting a government up and running shouldn't be something new for the US army, it went quite well after WWII.

Tue May 23, 2006 10:30 am
King

Invading a country and getting a government up and running shouldn't be something new for the US army, it went quite well after WWII.

Yea, and how long did that take? I mean there is still a US Army base in Germany.

Tue May 23, 2006 12:41 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

So what do we learn from this? Take your time. Although the reason the US army stayed so long in Germany had more to do with de red scare. ;)

Tue May 23, 2006 12:43 pm
Felix Rex

It took a long time to stabilize Europe, mainly because of the Russian menace the time. But at the same time, everyone in Europe was really happy to see us. Maybe not the Germans, but they were pretty thoroughly crushed. They also didn't mount an insurgency... they accepted their defeat and moved on.

Iraq's different. I still think most of the Iraqis support the west and their efforts to free Iraq. There's alot of freedom there that never existed before, and I know that people appreciate that.

At the same time, you have all the neighbors of Iraq being bastards and sending in their insurgents to cause the US shit, because they see it as a free opportuinity.

As for the reason behind 9/11.... it was what's his fuck's attempt to unify the arab world against the western world, as idiolized by the US. I don't think he really believed 9/11 would cow us, but maybe he hoped. I think he realized that we'd react violently to the attack, and we have. But I also think he hoped we'd move violently enought o piss off all of Islam and unite them in a holy war against us, which did not happen.

Tue May 23, 2006 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It took a long time to stabilize Europe, mainly because of the Russian menace the time.

More like the cold war, not just USSR.

Satis wrote:
But at the same time, everyone in Europe was really happy to see us.

"us" as in the US? wtf? That so isnt true.

Satis wrote:
They also didn't mount an insurgency... they accepted their defeat and moved on.

It didnt really work like that. I dont think the german nazi ideology was widely accepted in a way that would make the people turn to insurgency. Nowhere near what insurgency were seeing today in the middle east. That stuff is fuelled by hardcore religious fanaticism. Not saying necessarily that islamic extremism is common, but its far more considerable than remnants of the the nazi ideology.

Wed May 24, 2006 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2